Skip to main content

Get Published

This guide is about how to publish in scholarly journals and is specially for new and emerging researchers.

Retain your rights

When signing a copyright transfer agreement or an exclusive license agreement with a publisher, we suggest researchers retain basic rights that will enable you to:

  • Deposit your research into your institutional repository
  • Reuse the content of your research in future publications
  • Use your research for teaching and presentation

SPARC author addendum to publication agreement -  this addendum to your publication agreement could be used to secure your rights to your publications.

Authors' rights

AUT leaves copyright in the hands of researchers except over course materials or in other, specific situations:

The following online resources provide good guidelines for copyright owners:

Sharing and archiving

Self-archiving or Institutional repository

A copyright cleared version can be deposited to the AUT repository Tuwhera Research Outputs. The permitted versions vary but often it is the post-print version which is the author's final version after peer-reviewed. Library staff will check publishers' copyright and archiving policies for you.

Share full-text articles on online researcher networks, such as ResearchGate

Make sure you check the following before you post full-text articles onto researcher networks:

  • the copyright agreement you signed with your publisher
  • the publisher's copyright and sharing policies.

Manage your copyrights

The following are useful articles and videos to help you manage your copyright:

Creative Commons licences

 is a not for profit organization that offers free licences to enhance the use and sharing of creative works. These licences enable authors to control how their works can be used but also allow for the sharing of resources and works in certain ways.

There are six different copyright licence options through Creative Commons - each of these allow different types of use of the specified work. To view these licences and to see what each allows, visit the CC website:

Creative Commons Licences (CC licences)

Some open access journals provide options of CC Licences to authors. If you are not sure about which CC licence to use for you article, you may talk to your liaison librarian or the Research Support Team Leader.